drawing of the day color special– landline in the park

landline-inthepark-blogLandline is a (very) minor Rustbelt superhero who is in tryouts for a role in the Angel/Devil story.  This drawing of the day was the first attempt at a costume design for him, plus a setting that when rendered in color suggests autumn in either one of the parks in Kekionga or somewhere in the Cleveland Metroparks as I remember them from my childhood.  Which is probably more or less the same thing, somehow.

Landline’s costume appeared pretty much whole in my imagination except for a few details, but I had absolutely no idea what his colors were going to be until I sat down to scan the line art.  Steel blue and chrome yellow in its role as “the color of electricity” kind of works, and the plain brown leather of his gloves and boots suggests either his working class origins or his image as a man of the people, or probably both.  I drew the telephone without a reference, as we no longer have a Western Electric rotary dial phone in either the living room or the studio, although the ones in the kitchen and the office are still going strong.

The quotation, as the quotations on the drawings of the day often are, is something I heard on TV while I was drawing it which seemed appropriate somehow.  The coloring was done well within the 30 minute time limit.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in art and culture, comics and cartooning, Kekionga and the Knotted Rope Universe and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to drawing of the day color special– landline in the park

1. Wolfie says:

I hate to do this… but it must be asked if Landline is going to form a super team with Punch Card, 8-Track, Pager, Betamax, Typewriter, and Wristwatch.

2. Rick Santman says:

…and of course, their mentor, UNIVAC, who runs the team without ever leaving his air conditioned headquarters. He’s a great logical thinker.

3. Pam Bliss says:

Thank you guys so much. I know you think you were just being silly and clever, but this actually really works– a team of analog technology based ( or themed) heroes fits in nicely between the dieselpunks on one side and the cyberpunks on the other. The team so far is leader UNIVAC , who is Professor X type figure who never leaves HQ, and heroes Punchcard, Landline, Betamax, 8 Track and the powerful immortal called Ink. Pager is a young kid hanging around the place, and the time traveler Chronograph is a occasional member.

4. Wolfie says:

There’s also an assistant to UNIVAC called Rolodex who always knows who to call on when there’s trouble.

5. 1971wolfie says:

One of the background mysteries of this group is what happened to their old comrade, Vinyl. He was with them for a long time, then quite suddenly, a year or two ago, disappeared. The others think he’ll be back someday.

6. Rick Santman says:

*smacks forehead* Rolodex! Of COURSE! Well done Wolf! I can even see him very clearly.
    Typical babu, slightly unctuous, but always very well organized and at UNIVAC’s elbow at all times. Kind of looks like Bud’s kid brother, but dressed immaculately and conservatively in black suit and narrow tie.